[Eug-lug] Digital Audio Tapes

Tony Newman tonyn at efn.org
Thu Aug 12 20:47:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:47:10 -0700, Garl Grigsby wrote:

>    Does anybody have any experience with DATs that acutually contain
>audio (in a straight audio)? I have been given a tape that has a
>conference recorded on DAT tape that I need to convert to a digital
>format (mp3/wav/etc) for distribution. While I have access to a number
>of DDS drives, it appears that very few drives actually support reading
>audio data. [1] So I guess what I am looking for is somebody localy that
>can handle these types of tapes and give me either an audio cd or a disk
>with WAV files on it. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Garl
>
>[1] http://www.ncf.ca/~aa571/datfaq.htm

  In a reply to another person in this thread, you mentioned you wanted
to do this through some sort of commercial establishment - both for
security and to show that making a DAT recording is not the cheapest
way to aquire and distribute the meeting audio.  I think Chambers
Productions might be able to do this.  We (I work for the parent
company) use DAT for audio often, so we have regular DAT players.  I'm
pretty sure the PC in the audio booth has a CD burner in it, but I've
never made use of it.  I have no idea of what the cost would be, I
imagine it would be our regular per/hour cost of the audio booth.  If
this sounds like the direction you want to go, call 485-5611 and ask
for Penny Havlovick - she may not have THE answer, but she is likely to
know who does.

  I'm a little vague on details, I deal mainly with the
repair/maintenance of stuff rather than the operation.

  One of the local radio stations would probably be able to do the
transfer as well - perhaps cheaper.  That's where some of our DAT
recordings go.

  DAT isn't a bad way to do audio.  If you run it at 48K samples per
second, it's slightly better than CD.  It's not a common consumer
format, so it never built up the volume needed to reduce the cost.  Of
course for recording a meeting, it is massive overkill.  Proper
acoustics and microphone placement would be of far more value in making
a good recording on even a low cost analog cassette.

--

     Tony