[Eug-lug] Digital Audio Tapes

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Thu Aug 12 12:08:50 PDT 2004

Garl Grigsby wrote:

>    Does anybody have any experience with DATs that acutually contain
> audio (in a straight audio)? I have been given a tape that has a
> conference recorded on DAT tape that I need to convert to a digital
> format (mp3/wav/etc) for distribution. While I have access to a number
> of DDS drives, it appears that very few drives actually support reading
> audio data. [1] So I guess what I am looking for is somebody localy that
> can handle these types of tapes and give me either an audio cd or a disk
> with WAV files on it. Any ideas?

SGI's drives under IRIX can read audio, I think.  I vaguely recollect
that the block size is 2k for audio, so something like this would
work.

	dd if=/dev/--uh-I-forget-rmt0-maybe-- bs=2k of=file

It's been about ten years, but I have made it work.

You might also try playing with the Indigo Magic GUI tools.  They
might just work.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com