[Eug-lug] External SATA

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Thu Aug 5 21:10:54 PDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Garl Grigsby wrote:

> Garl Grigsby wrote:

[cut]
> While I know it is in poor taste to reply to your own posts, here is
> what I have found through further research.

Then I am frequently in poor taste.  Who made that silly rule anyway?

> USB 2.0 for external harddrives seems to be hit and miss. There are some

More generally, USB2.0 is hit-or-miss under Linux.  Someday it will
work.  Not today.  It has nothing to do with external harddrives.

> I am just now starting to dig into Firewire. I have found that the
> Oxford 911 chipset (ide to firewire bridge) appears to be well
> supported. Now I simply need to find a external case that uses this
> chipset and a Firewire card that has solid Linux support.
>
> Comments appreciated.
> Garl

>From what I have heard, firewire is also hit-or-miss.  Once you get
a working connection, it is great.  But that may involve selecting
each of the components to work together.  Of course, that is no
different from USB2.0.

I suspect what you are looking for does not exist yet: a connection
scheme that actually works.  A standard that is actually followed
by the manufacturers.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
        allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
  "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Wizard of Oz