[Eug-lug] Question about exploits and malware

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Thu Jun 5 22:39:50 PDT 2008

It's really hard to tell what happened from here.  I suspect the
server was broken into through some vulnerability in Linux, Apache,
PHP, or another installed package.  Without doing a forensic analysis,
we won't know.

Once an attacker had gained access to the server, it would be
trivially easy to use a script to edit static web pages (or php source
files) and rewrite hyperlinks en masse.  You could write a script to
do that.  I could write a script to do that in just a few minutes.

Who did it and what their motivation was is just speculation.  The is
simplest explanation would be that the porn sites' owners did it, but
there's no real evidence, at least from here.  The site administrator
could get some clues from Apache's logfiles.

FWIW, I spot checked a few other diary entries there, and they didn't
appear to be defaced.