Resolved: [Eug-lug] Source Code Processing

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Thu May 5 23:15:37 PDT 2005

Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> I can only surmise sed is thus free to treat "^M" as part of the RE or
> as part of the "end of a line", and opts for the former.

Sed is a Unix command.  Therefore it follows Unix line end
conventions.  If it didn't, it would be broken, and many scripts that
rely on its correct behavior would also be broken.  I don't see why
you would expect otherwise.  It's like meeting an English-speaking
person and expecting him to also understand French or Hindi because
other people understand those languages.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com