[Eug-lug] commodity laptops?

Darren Hayes darrenh41 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 14:42:32 PDT 2005

Investigating current notebook platforms to install Linux, Windows XP and
Windows Server 2003 (and hopefully Longhorn).

Which current "mobile" CPU/chipset combinations are recommended for a Linux
laptop/notebook? Does this depend in part on the chosen variant/version of
Linux?

Any thoughts on AMD Turion based notebooks in comparison to recent Intel
Centrino (Sonoma) Pentium M and Mobile Express 915 (Alviso) chipset based
notebooks?

As I understand there are two variants of the Turion: Turion ML and Turion
MT. The MT apparently has a slightly lower "heat ceiling" and battery life
specs, supposedly comparable to the Sonoma.

I need to further research systemboard chipsets supporting the Turion. At
this point I know nothing about the features/capabilities of the Broadcom
and SIS chipsets used on some Turion notebook systemboards.

Is Via supporting the Turion, either thru chipsets or systemboards?

HP and Acer has been recently rolling out various models of Turion based
laptops. Dunno which chipsets they are using.

Any recommends on third party manufacturers/OEM's where I could source
"whitebox" Turion based laptops?

I'm avoiding Pentium 4 and older Athlon64 mobile platforms due to
power/heat/battery life/weight issues. And avoiding Celeron M or Sempron
products because... I just don't like the product names. ;-)

Darren