[Eug-lug] Free O'Reilly book

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Sat Jan 29 03:20:30 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:01:36PM -0800, Ben Barrett wrote:
> but OTOH, to address one of Joseph's concern about lengthy compiles on
> old platforms:  I *imagine* and *hope* that these folks are
> cross-compiling!  Maybe they aren't, and you seem to know more about
> it.  But the need to cover so many platforms, from devs around the
> world, would obviously increase the time to release... do you know if
> people with Atari's are actually compiling X on their Atari's, for instance?

You know, there were suggestions about doing that back then.

There were also a ready stack of reasons why Debian couldn't do that, such
as cross compilers not always producing real/valid code and the large
number of programs not designed to be cross-compiled.

I would consider both to be the kinds of bugs we're always hearing about
Debian striving to fix, personally.