[Eug-lug] Favourite WM/Desktop

Allen Brown allen_brown at agilent.com
Thu Jan 27 09:54:08 PST 2005

T. Joseph CARTER wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 04:17:27PM -0800, Allen Brown wrote:
>
>>I didn't vote because I don't have a WM/Desktop that I like.  I
>>just have ones I dislike to varying degrees.
>>
>>I used to like Gnome, but they made it like the Mac and removed
>>much of the configurability.  Well, sort of.  It was a pain that
>>every few weeks Gnome would forget the configuration I had given
>>it.  And editing those configuration files without using the GUI
>>appeared to be nearly impossible.
>

> They did NOT MAKE IT LIKE THE MAC.  The mac is more configurable today
> than ever it was in the past.  The knobs you shouldn't play with unless
> you know what you're doing aren't visible, but they're there.  In fact,
> they were there back with the oldest macs.  There were whole sites devoted
> to doing things with your mac that the average user could never imagine
> (ResExcellence for example), and now with MacOS X there are several such
> sites describing how the use of Terminal.app (or iTerm or whatever) and
> editing a couple of text files can do amazing things for you.

I don't know didly about the Mac.  I showed the new Gnome to a Mac
owner and he said it was inspired from Mac.  That was the extent of
what I meant by comparing it to a Mac.

And since that top menu bar (of Gnome) was not removeable (that I
could tell) and aways on top and always using the full window width
it made the desktop totally unacceptable to me.
--
Allen Brown
   work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
         allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
   Press any key to continue or any other key to quit