[Eug-lug] Computer time

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Sun Jan 23 08:42:11 PST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Bob Miller wrote:

> Jacob Meuser wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:01:14PM -0800, Max Lemieux wrote:
> > > Agreed, vi seems to be the universally present editor.
> >
> > ed is the universal editor.
>
> No, ed is the STANDARD text editor.
> http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html
>
> I agree with Max.  Nano is a good, non-confusing editor.  I'll bet I've
> been using emacs longer than anyone here -- I first used the original
> TECo-based version on MIT-AI sometime in 1978.  But I'm still aware
> that emacs is a bear to learn.
> --

emacs is a bear to learn *completely*.  But you can be quite effective
using a "nano" fraction of it.  If all you learn of emacs is the
capabilities that are provided in nano, emacs is no more difficult to
learn than nano.  But with nano, that is all you can do.  With emacs
you can continue to grow.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
        allen_brown at agilent.com             abrown at peak.org
  It is more agreeable to have the power to give than to receive.
  --- Sir Winston Churchill