[Eug-lug] Wrapping for Access Control

Jeff_W beaker at freeshell.org
Sat Jan 22 17:56:16 PST 2005

Jacob Meuser <jakemsr at jakemsr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:06:13PM -0800, Jeff_W wrote:
>
> > # added for TCP Wrappers control of pygopherd - beaker: 1/20/2005
> > pygopherd  stream  tcp   nowait  root   /usr/pkg/bin/pygopherd  pygopherd
>
> are you _sure_ you don't have to specify tcpd there?
>
> pygopherd  stream  tcp   nowait  root   /usr/libexec/tcpd  pygopherd

Yes, I fairly certain:
(from netbsd's HOSTS_ACCESS(5))
  Note that in a `stock' installation of the tcp_wrappers
  package, a program called tcpd is called from /etc/inetd.conf,
  and this program performs the wrapper checks and  then
  executes  the daemon.  In  NetBSD  inetd(8)  has  been
  modified  to perform this check internally, and so tcpd is
  neither used nor supplied.

> is there an EXAMPLES section in your tcpd(8)?

See above; there is no tcpd in the base system, however the stock
tcpd package is available in pkgsrc.  I suspect is replaces the
original modified version of inetd when installed.

> > I should mention that when I use the tcpdchk & tcpmatch tools
> > everything appears to work (allow LAN hosts; deny outsiders):
>
> they don't actually run the program in question.  they just check
> hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

I figured as much.