[Eug-lug] electra

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Fri Jan 21 14:08:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, larry price wrote:

> I had two reactions:
>
> 1. This could be truly useful

I like the idea of standardization.  But it really matters what
standard you pick.

> 2. It's the windows registry database
>
> I think it's going to be a hard sell, for a lot of people because of 2.
> On the other hand a desktop system like Ubuntu or Mandrake would
> probably benefit from it, more than it would lose from dealing with
> it's complexity.
>
> It's at least somewhat saner than WR

It's a lot saner since it uses a text file.  Or is that multiple
files?  I didn't notice.

But we already have a system to provide this.  It's called tcl.
Tcl provides a standard way to configure a program.  It provides
namespaces and advanced data types.

If electra uses one file for everything then it is a bad idea.
If I trash the config for mozilla for some reason (perhaps a power
failure while editing it's config) then I certainly don't want
the fstab to be trashed at the same time.  That is one of the
flaws of WR.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
        allen_brown at agilent.com             abrown at peak.org
  Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.