[Eug-lug] Computer time

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Fri Jan 21 10:02:58 PST 2005

Yeah, Bob, whats the matter with you? when are you going to become a real
programmer and use vi or emacs?

Jamie

On Friday 21 January 2005 09:31 am, Allen Brown wrote:
: On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
: > walter fry wrote:
: > > Ifound the cat command     now how do I change arc from true to
: > > false....Please
: >
: > Use a text editor.  Linux has 70 or 80 text editors to choose from.  I
: > think I recall that you're using a GUI, so try kedit or gedit.
: >
: > 	kedit /etc/sysconfig/clock
: >
: > If you're not using a GUI, try nano, vi or emacs.
: > --
: > Bob Miller                              K<bob>
:
: I recommend that you learn one of the real editors, one that doesn't
: require a GUI.  Otherwise if you find you have to do repairs from
: outside of X windows, you will be SOL.
:
: The top contenders are vi and emacs.  Both are very powerful and
: both are used by real programmers.  Both are commonly installed on
: most Unix systems.  Both are backed by fanatics with religious zeal.
: Both have a long history.
:
: emacs
:   + Basically Modeless.  Ordinary characters are always inserted.
:   - Complex.  And very large.
:   + Totally programmable and reconfigurable.
:   - Harder on your fingers because of all the control characters
:     you have to type.  Avoid emacs if you have carpal tunnel.
:   + If you are merging the contents of several files into one,
:     emacs is hard to beat.
: vi
:   + Almost everything can be done with one finger.
:   - You have to remember if you are in insert mode, overwrite mode,
:     command mode.
:   + Small and fast.
:   + Because it avoids control characters it tends to be more
:     compatible with serial port protocols.
:
: Now that the subject is presented, I'm sure several people will
: try to turn this into a religious arguement about why their choice
: is the only choice.  It happens every time both editors are mentioned.
: --
: Allen Brown
:   work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
:         allen_brown at agilent.com             abrown at peak.org
:   No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism.
:   --- Sir Winston Churchill
:
: EUGLUG mailing list
: euglug at euglug.org

The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
	-- Linus Torvalds