[Eug-lug] No value for $TERM

Allen Brown allen_brown at agilent.com
Wed Jan 19 14:00:01 PST 2005

When I use scp into my computers I get
abrown at cvlx21's password:
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified

The copy succeeds.  But those error messages are annoying.

I get the same set of errors from my nightly cron job.
However, I have another cron that runs every 20 minutes,
and it doesn't complain.  In the case of the nightly cron
it may have to do with loading profile.
   . /etc/profile
   . ${HOME}/.bash_profile
   . ${HOME}/.bashrc

   do more work...

Does ssh do the same thing for a scp?

I have tried to edit my profile files to not run things
like stty if it isn't an interactive session.  That doesn't
seem to help at all.

Does scp do this to you?  What do your startup files do to
avoid running stty and it's ilk?
--
Allen Brown
   work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
         allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
   Linux is like a wigwam: no windows, no gates, Apache inside.
     --- Albert Arendsen