[Eug-lug] Sun RPC vs Debian

Allen Brown allen_brown at agilent.com
Tue Jan 18 17:00:38 PST 2005

I need to be able to use the commands that I think are called
Sun RPC.  I am referring to the commands rlogin, rcp, etc.

I know these commands are insecure.  I am inside a corporate
firewall trying to talk with computers that are running HPUX.
And the admins of those systems are sometimes reluctant to
install ssh.  But I need to be able to rsync to these
computers via a cron job.

RedHat installed these commands.  They worked just fine.

Debian does not install them.  Instead it installs ssh
right over those program names.  And ssh wants to use
port 22.  Wrong port for this protocol.

I did a apt-cache search for rpc and rcp.  If the rpc
commands are there, I sure don't recognize them.  What
should I find?  How can I solve this problem?
--
Allen Brown
   work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
         allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
   I knit little sweaters for my pet peeves. --- unknown