[Eug-lug] Debian fubaria question

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Wed Jan 12 15:15:47 PST 2005

perdurabo wrote:

> Should I be running Debian stable or unstable? Which one is easier to
> upgrade as new software comes out? I am familiar with basic apt-get
> operations.

Depends.  :-)

Stable will be exactly that.  After you set up cron-apt, you'll be
amazed at how little administration your server needs, while staying
completely on top of the constant trickle of security updates.

OTOH, you'll have to live with 2002 vintage software.  That's not the
end of the world -- in 1975 we lived with 1975 vintage software, after
all.  But whiz-bang it isn't.

Debian's testing release doesn't have security updates, so IMHO,
that's out.

Another approach is to go with a distro like RedHat -- erm, Fedora --
and plan on a day of downtime every six to nine months when a new
release comes out.

In any case, do stay on top of the security updates, as rebuilding
a cracked box is no fun.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com