[Eug-lug] Concurrency, (free lunch is over article)

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Fri Jan 7 11:56:25 PST 2005

If you look at the architecture of the old Sequent systems,
they were able to get linear, or near linear speedup on
systems up to 32 processors. They did it with a lot of cache magic.
But they had a way that straight applications could win in this environment.

I think that we generally do not do big programs in this context. We do lots
of little things. In this way, multiple cores are a big win, assuming that
do the right cache magic.

Mike Cherba <mike.cherba at caviumnetworks.com> writes:

 % Just finished reading the article.  In my mind the question really
 % becomes a matter of provisioning multiple processors to the best
 % effect.  I've not played with the SMP portions of the Linux kernel as
 % I've not had a multiproc box to run it with.  However, this is an area
 % of real concern for me as newer generations of the network processors I
 % work with will have up to 16 cores within a single chip.
 %
 % I find it interesting that the article only covers one percieved facet
 % of mutlicore performance and doesn't really cover effective division of
 % work as the number of processors goes toward infinity.  While SMP is a
 % good approach for 2 or even 4 processors, I do not believe it to be the
 % best approach for numbers of cores higher than that.  Especially
 % depending on the work to be done.  Once you have more than a few cores,
 % you can afford to specialize the tasks of each core at an even lower
 % level.  Certain functions work best with a single CPU focused on them.
 %
 % My concerns are that most software developers today do not understand
 % how to design applications which effectively make use of multiple
 % processing units.
 %
 % Just my $.02 !
 % 		-Mike
 %
 % --
 % "The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are getting the hell
 % off this rock!"
 % EUGLUG mailing list
 % euglug at euglug.org