[Eug-lug] Gnoppix Ubuntu LiveCDs at meeting tomorrow

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 20:07:42 PST 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:39:52 +0000, fleming.j at comcast.net
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could you mail me tomorrow's currency rates please,
I'd be ever so grateful...  ;-)

<fleming.j at comcast.net> wrote:
>  http://www.linuxcompatible.org/article11.html

Sounds like a bad experience, OTOH it was a release candidate, not a
final release,
but yeah trashing an entire hard drive to take it over for a new OS is
irresponsible; and probably not a good idea (sounds like someone made
an assumption about how it would be used and by whom that was badly
flawed)

> After reading Larry's post I started downloading the install cd first. Then I started reading the article that I've quoted above. Has anyone installed this distro to their hardrive and had a good experience?  The article was written 04/01/2004
> hopefully they have improved the install script. Also he says that it was the livecd that he tried

The livecd I'm running off of at the moment does not have an obvious
easily accessible install script intended to install the system to a
local partition.

This is probably for the best, a livecd is usually not the right
answer for a long term operating system, but it is relatively handy
for having a complete system to take with you. Or as with me, when you
need a graphical environment right away but have managed to botch up
your existing X configuration in the course of an upgrade.

This has given me a renewed interest in Linux and I plan to install
Ubuntu on to a spare partition, and see if I can rig up something to
share data between the FreeBSD and Linux sides (possibly a jailed NFS
server on the other machine)