[Eug-lug] Gnoppix Ubuntu LiveCDs at meeting tomorrow

Max Lemieux max at lunarlogic.com
Wed Jan 5 15:45:46 PST 2005

larry price wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:07:35 -0800, Max Lemieux <max at lunarlogic.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Larry,
>>
>>2 questions about the PPC CD's:
>>
>>1) is there a torrent?
>>

>http://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/warty/warty-release-install-powerpc.iso.torrent
>

>>2) does it boot on Old-World G3? (i.e. beige 233/desktop rev1 G3)
>>

>I don't know for sure, oldworld Macs aren't my specialty, but in my
>experience they are painful and frustrating to deal with when
>attempting to install a Linux distribution. (tr. may not be worth it
>for time invested)

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it's a little tricky getting the system
installed (2 floppy disks for bootstrap) but the PPC bootloader will
boot off the hard drive now, even for old-world systems. After the
floppy bootstrap the process is identical to any other Debian install (I
chose a net-install which came off without a hitch). The system was
solid once up and running, and very stable and quick-ish (faster than
MacOS 9 for sure, running IceWM!)