[Eug-lug] mounting FFS w/ softupdates from Knoppix/Gnoppix

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 19:07:11 PST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:43:32 -0800, Jacob Meuser <jakemsr at jakemsr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:47:10PM -0500, larry price wrote:
> > My Knotty problem for the week, Has anyone here done this? It seems
> > like it should be possible, but the mount_ufs does not seem to work on
> > disk slices for which softupdates are turned on.
>
> are you sure the problem isn't UFS2 vs UFS?
>
> softupdates is a mount option.  it shouldn't change the filesystem.

It's most probably ufs2 ( I'd check it right now but I'm writing this
email from a knoppix system that's on the same machine as the target,
which is part of why I'm tryingto solve this problem.)

In fact I'm almost certain that it is UFS2 because
"""
root at ttyp3[knoppix]# mount -t ufs /dev/hdb2 /mnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,
       or too many mounted file systems
"""
 is there an updated version of linux mount that can handle ufs2