[Eug-lug] grrrr.... damn computers!

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Tue Jan 4 11:42:23 PST 2005

So, Im still trying to backup my laptop, and thats being a pain in the ass...
kbear keeps barfing on me.. getting real tired if that, but whats pissing me
off more is this damn raid setup. I still havnt gotten linux to see the
drives. I have tested it in windows xp, and the hardware does work.

This is my hardware:

ASUS P4R800-V Deluxe motherboard.
onboard SATA/IDE Raid controller (SIS 180)

Ive tried so much stuff I cant list it all, but a summary of what ive tried
is:
Knoppix boot cd (with various boot params) ... no luck
Gentoo minimal install CD
Custom Gentoo CD (gen2raid)
Slackware 10

I have slack installed on a 160 GB disk, on the other IDE controller, and have
built many kernels, and tried many stock kernels (including ataraid.i). Ive
compiled sata_sis (the driver for sis 180) modules, and in the kernel. Ive
compiled libata into the kernel, and modules.
Ive tried dmraid (and device mapper). I get "No Sofware RAID disks" message.
I dont even know how these drives will appear exactly, but none of the kernels
Ive used, or modules Ive loaded have shown the 2 raid disks in dmesg (but it
does show the controller loading, and 2 controller channels.)

So, Im also confused about what is software raid, soft-hardware raid... It
sholdnt be that hard to setup!! but yet it is.

To compund things, Ive read so many docs relating (but not quite right for my
setup,) some docs are 2 years old, some dont use my hardware, some use my
controller, but not ide, ... its been really frustrating.

So, It seems the current issue is that I simply cannot see these drive under
linux. once I can see the drives, I may actually be able to use them.
If someone has a clue how/what I need to do... please let me know...

Jamie

--
> You know you are "there" when you are known by your first name, and
> are recognized.
> Lemmie see, there is Madonna, and Linus, and ..... help me out here!
Bill ? ;-)
	-- From some postings on comp.os.linux.misc