[Eug-lug] iptables on gentoo?

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Mon Jan 3 10:44:36 PST 2005

Quoth Rob Hudson, on Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:52:26 -0800:

> Anyone familiar with iptables on gentoo?

A little.  I'm not sure I can help you, but I've one suggestion. . . .

> Upon doing this, my connection (via ssh) died until the stop command
> came through.  I'm confused as to why turning on iptables in this way
> killed my connection but typing them manually did not.

That is indeed illogical.  :}  I believe iptables never actually starts
or stops, that if it's enabled in the kernel, then it's always on.  So
if iptables-save is reporting the same rules, you should be experiencing
the same access.  Try reconnecting via ssh AFTER running the start
command.

> Not sure what's up.  Any help is appreciated.  Also, feel free to
> comment on the iptables rules themselves... I'm no expert at firewalls
> but want something simple to help protect my server.

Here's my only suggestion:  use a firewall router instead.  You'll have
a basic set of restrictions by default, and you can customize that via a
simple browser interface.  Of course, if you're trying to protect your
system from M$ boxen on your LAN at work, you're probably back to
iptables.

Please post the resolution!

--Jason

--