[Eug-lug] Jabber, IM, Google; and the internet is changing shape again

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:48:03 PDT 2005

So tonight's big news is that Google's IM offering is coming out
the interesting thing about this is that it's based on the jabber protocol
(aka XMPP as defined in RFCs 392[0-3]) and Google is making sounds
that should be fairly pleasing to people who are into using open
source tools.
http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html

I was able to connect using the IM client already on my computer (GAIM)
and it's trivial for any Jabber Client (including command line ones) to connect.

On a most practical note, they are talking about federating servers
and encouraging ISPs to set up their own Jabber/XMPP servers. In other
words using their market power to open up IM (at this point the only
competitive strategy that hasn't been tried by a major player in that
space)

So IM online tonight message me (hey tim.bolzt just added himself to
my buddy list :)

/me going into guru contemplation mode reading the bot example in the pyxmpp
distribution...

--
http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?