[Eug-lug] CD ROM problems

Steve euglinux at nwtechops.com
Wed May 26 19:08:32 PDT 2004

Would this be 10 Community or is it 10 Official?

Community had lots of issues related to CD installation. I use scsi CDs
in one desktop and ended up having to install from nfs. Official didn't
have a problem installing off of the scsi attached CD. Once the other
issues were resolved, my Vaio didn't have a problem installing off of
IDE on either Community or Official.

With either version you have to carefully look at memory, it's very
picky about ram errors. On my laptop and one desktop I ended up changing
out the memory modules to get 10 to install and work without issue. In
both cases it produced the same error that your describing and was
failing on installing various rpm packages (the problem looked like
physical media issues). On the desktop I did get a load installed by
stepping the system down to 1Ghz equiv. and using nfs but I still had
runtime problems until I swapped the memory out with verified dual-bank
PC3200 modules. The ordeal taught to not be so cheap!

Oh yeah, you probably want to turn ACPI back on to get control of
processor temp (fan speed and what not).

Steve