[Eug-lug] Thursday meeting tomorrow uncertain

Alan Crandall alanore at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 12:52:33 PDT 2004

At 07:14 AM 7/30/2004, Jamie wrote:
>well... you shouldnt run as root(admin) if you can do something as a user,
>however sometimes you need to be root.

That was the reason for info.As I am new to Linux,some installers require
certain install paths that require root permissions.Sure I can /bin su
but  term has limits for me at this learning curve

>Alan, It sounds like you use a gui to login (kdm or gdm?) I think you can
>still login as root, but your login manager is configured to not display a
>root user. all you have to do is type in root, then password for root to
>login as root.

Gui to login/kdm.So the next time I login, instead of typing my password as
that user just type root and then it will ask for roots password?

>Alternatively, if you just want to run one app as root, you can also do (in a
>shell):
>
>su -c /opt/kde/bin/kwrite
>
>and it will open kwrite as root user, while in userland gui.
Thanks! and as a side note,I got crossover working and went to install a
modplayer but would only install to Opera,which I have installed,but I can
not find in any dir.Have not tried looking in the roots dir yet but that
would not make sense to me as that dir is not a shared dir ?