[Eug-lug] Re: Fonts in GTK apps under KDE

Kees Lemmens lemmens_kees at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 11:34:49 PDT 2004

*Rob Hudson wrote on */Sun May 16 12:12:08 PDT 2004 :
/

>I'm running KDE.  I can set up my theme in KDE and make the font in
>KDE/QT apps look nice, but fonts in the Gnome/GTK apps looks ugly.  For
>instance, Mozilla Firefox.  How can I tell a GTK based app to use a
>particular theme, without actually running Gnome?  Or can you?
>
>Thanks,
>Rob

If I run Gnome GTK2 apps under KDE the fonts look ugly as well. However,
under Gnome itself exactly the same apps look fine.

But, if I start the gnome-control-center just once under KDE the fonts are
suddenly also fine under KDE ! After some investiation I found that the
gnome-control-center starts something like "gnome-settings-daemon" which
seems to do the trick !!!

So, what to do to fix the problem permanently : ensure that every time you
start KDE the "gnome-settings-daemon" is started as well. (eg using
.xsession or through Autostart).

Kees Lemmens
July 2004