[Eug-lug] Name server for a ppp connection

Mike Cherba mike.cherba at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Dec 29 10:49:31 PST 2004

Here is my experience with PPP connections.  The sequence I go through
to locate a problem is as follows.  I have made a couple of assumptions
about IP addresses that you can simply replace with the proper ones to
try this.

MY eth0: 192.168.1.101
MY ppp0: 192.168.16.78
MY local gateway: 192.168.1.1
remote ppp server: 192.168.16.76

No admitedly I'm using ppp/pptp for VPN purposes but the process of
testing the connection should be pretty much the same.

Before I start the connection, if I run "route" or "ip route show" I see
that the default route points to my local router:
	default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
One the ppp link is established The default route should be through the
ppp0 device with the ppp server as the gateway address I think.

The sequence of tests I'd have him do is the following:
ping the local router by IP
ping the ppp server by IP
ping the DNS servers in his resolv.conf by IP
ping some big internet provider like google or yahoo to test DNS
capability.

Based on the results of each of these you can get and idea of at what
stage the problem lies.
		-Mike

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 22:59, Ken Barber wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 December 2004 8:09 pm, Allen Brown wrote:
>
> > He is able to ping by IP address.  Just not by name.  Does
> > that rule out route as the problem?
>
> Maybe.  WHERE is he pinging by IP?  His gateway?  Or an address beyond his
> gateway?
>
> If you can ping an IP address that lies beyond your gateway, then your default
> route (i.e., gateway) is fine.
>
> If you're only pinging inside your subnet, then all you know is that your IP
> address and (maybe) subnet mask are OK.
>
> If SOME addresses outside of your gateway work and some do not, take a look at
> your subnet mask.
>
> If everything works when pinging by IP but nothing works when pinging by name,
> then you have a DNS problem.
>
> Ken
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are getting the hell
off this rock!"