[Eug-lug] usb floppy??

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Mon Aug 30 11:05:55 PDT 2004

Max Lemieux wrote:

> Ah. Thanks for the correction. I've noticed that all USB storage devices
> (generally memory cards) load as /dev/sda, didn't think about floppies
> falling under that category. Guess I shouldn't complain unless I'm willing
> to rewrite usb-storage. ;)

If you have an external USB drive, a memory stick, an iPod, and a
floppy, they ALL show up as /dev/sda.  Unless you have more than one
plugged in at once, then the later ones are /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ...

This makes it hard to write scripts that access the transient
peripherals -- their names keep changing.

You'll have the same problem when you use extra network interface in
your laptop.  Mine has two built in, and I can see legitimate reasons
for using three at once.

Is there any good solution?

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com