[Eug-lug] System Admin position.

Jason chanjb at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 00:06:46 PDT 2004

Yeah, once upon a time I was mainly a Windows guy.

In my experience, the variance in skill and experience
level is fairly similar with both Unix and Windows
admins. There are button pushers in both camps. There
are more junior-level Windows folk, but I think that
is largely due to the popularity/ubiquity of Windows
vs. Unix/Linux (especially in the small/medium
market).

A number of the Windows folks I know are really
top-notch, some of the best/brightest geeks I know.
And, they are also some of the best security guys I
know (which helps in my line of work).

Those of you who are not day-to-day MS admins might be
surprised to know that good Windows guys do just as
much programming/scripting and config file (registry)
editing as Unix admins. Also, much of the day-to-day
toolset for Windows admins is command line. Seasoned
MS administrators use wizards infrequently.

Speaking of wizards, this is a topic that's always
sort of irked me. MS has designed many of their
services/apps to be configured primarily through
wizards. That's just the design. On the other hand, to
config a service on most unix-like OS'es, you edit a
text file, and then issue a restart command. Again,
that's the design.

Admittedly, I prefer the unix-style, but I don't know
that I'd say that editing a file and issuing a command
is much more 'technical' or 'hardcore' of an admin
style than opening an mmc and running a wizard (if
that's how you choose to config a windows box).

I need to get over this anti-wizard bias, but a few
colleagues and I had some interesting
conversations/arguments on this topic awhile back on a
project that was very wizard-centric.

Anyhoo, all for now.

Jason

--- larry price <laprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> >From what I have seen a Sysadmin who has gotten
> beyond the cargo cult
> level of Windows System Administration is usually
> skilled, and has
> probably dealt with some form of Unix along the way.
>
> MS has spent a lot of time and energy attempting to
> make system
> administration easy, which is not a bad thing; the
> unfortunate part is
> that they have attempted to rebrand and
> reconceptualise various things
> that should be universal.
>
> I don't have the background (with windows) to apply
> for this job, but
> suspect they are looking for someone who can look
> beyond the How
> (which wizard to poke) to the Why (what this wizard
> does and why using
> it is the quickest way to solve this problem).
>

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:28:40 -0700, John Sechrest
> <sechrest at peak.org> wrote:
> >

> > I think that this system is far more complex than
> the average
> > installation, and this statement misses the point.
> >
> > "Ogier de Corbiel" <ogier_de_corbiel at hotmail.com>
> writes:
> >
> >  % Anyone who can use a wizard is a master at
> windblows administration.
> >

> >  %
> >  % Ogier
> >  %

<mailto:itjobs at InsightsNow.com>itjobs at InsightsNow.com