[Eug-lug] gentoo no network install.

Timothy Bolz bolzt at efn.org
Sun Aug 8 10:51:28 PDT 2004

> Copy the tar files into /usr/portage/distfiles.  Portage always looks
> there first.  However, if you've done "emerge sync" Portage may still
> download newer versions off the 'Net.  Nothing you can do to prevent
> that.

I did copy the files to /usr/portage/disfiles but I think I did the emerg
sync which means a non net will not be possible.  There should be some switch
which tells emerge only to look in th /usr/portage/distfiles. Oh, well maybe
I'll try to reinstall it again.  :-)

I followed the instructions from the manual.  But it could be a better
install.  I do like the starting boot screen.  That's nice.  Well the basic
install does seem quick and it does boot fast.

> > I'm a complete Newbie to Gentoo.
>
> Welcome.  I promise it'll be an education.

Well it's part of the learning curve.  Gentoo and Slackware possibly give you
a little bit more.  Then you are better off knowing how and why.  That's the
fun part.  Learning.

>From what I've read and what you wrote I think I'm back to another couple of
hours installing.  This time I won't emerg sync until I'm online via dialup.

Thanks Bob

Tim