[Eug-lug] gentoo no network install.

Timothy Bolz bolzt at efn.org
Sun Aug 8 09:50:12 PDT 2004

Ok, I've heard everyone talk about Gentoo so I thought I try installing it.
Well I got the base system loaded.  I have the 2nd CD which contains all the
tar files.  If you don't want emerge to point to the net but point to a cd or
hard drive how do you get it to do this.  When I emerge -k xfree or whatever
package it tries the ftp sites.  Maybe when I get Gentoo working properly, I
might like it.  I've read thru the emerge manual and have tried some of the
things it suggested but it still doesn't install the programs.  I guess I'm
familiar with Debian when I say get the sources from the CD it gets them CD.
I'm a complete Newbie to Gentoo.

On a positive not I did get pon to work in root.  I copied all the config
files from Debian.  I added myself to the group dialout but I know there is
one more thing I had to do.  I think it's chmod on the modem to add users
read, write access. It's been a couple years since I've done this.  I should
taken more notes back then.  I started to take notes recently and some of the
commands I rarely use and it helps.  I just pull up the notes file and there
it is.

I hope someone can help.

Tim