[Eug-lug] Newbie CD Burner Questioned- Answered it myself....

Garl Grigsby badd_karma at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 10:33:02 PDT 2004

nyal wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>After doing a bit of fooling around I was able to answer my own question....
>
>Went into the Mandrake Control Center, found Mount Points for CDROMs, went
>into the options and unchecked the noauto and user options....rebooted and
>can now see my pictures!
>
>New problem I have is that the CD Burner doesn't want to open up and kick the
>CD out once I'm done looking....Any suggestions?  I tried the button on the
>front of the burner, no go.  I tried using the eject option from KSCD, no
>luck.
>
>Is there a way from a terminal window I can force it to open?
>
>Any suggestions are most appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Nyal R. Cammack
>ncammack at efn.org

Nyal,
    CDs in Linux need to be mounted to be able to read them and
unmounted to eject them. What you did by unchecking the noauto option is
that you told the system to mount the drive at boot. The reason you
cannot eject the drive is that disk is still mounted. In all honesty you
should really go back and turn on the noauto and the user switch as
these are desired options. I haven't used Mandrake in some time, but in
other distros there is a Disk Management GUI that allows you to mount
and unmount drives. There also may be a link on the desktop that mounts
the cdrom drive for you. Audio disks tend to be a bit different in that
you can play them without mounting the drive (the audio player access
the disk directly).

Hope that helps.
Garl

PS These links might help....