[Eug-lug] EDITOR'S NOTE:

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Thu Aug 5 20:33:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> > > This is horse hockey.  Bad code is bad code.  Yes, they _can_ find
> > > the problems, but all too often it's after an incident.
> >
> > This is true enough, but it's true for any code.  You usually don't know
> > it's broken until someone reports the vulnerability.  The issue is, what
> > is the frequency and severity of these vulnerabilities?  What is the
> > average time to a workaround?  To a proper fix?  How often does a proper
> > fix actually fix the underlying problem?
>
> True, but the author was implying that fixes come before incidents.

Sometimes they do.  I know of at least one kernel release that was
specifically to patch a hole that was discovered.  There were no
exploits of the hole.

OTOH, Microshaft sat on security holes that were reported to them
until *after* they were publically announced and exploited.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
        allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
  I am not really an actor, I just play one on television.  --- A.B.