[Eug-lug] External SATA

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Aug 5 17:08:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:07:56PM -0700, Garl Grigsby wrote:

>   Does anybody have an experience with SATA drives under Linux?
> Specifically I am looking at getting a HighPoint Rocket 1511 e.SATA and
> a couple of  RocketMate 1100 External Disk cases to use as offsite
> backup. My experience with USB2.0 has been nothing but a disaster and I
> want nothing more of it. Presently I see my options as either Firewire
> or e.SATA. I need something that is hot swappable and is reliable.
> Anybody have a suggestions?

I have two internal SATA drives, one external Firewire HD, one combo
Firewire and USB2 microdrive-based thiny (my iPod mini), and a USB2
multi-card reader.

SATA is the way to go for cost and performance.  Firewire is acceptable
speed, but it is a bus and the bus is shared.  SATA gives full bandwidth
to an individual port.  Even Firewire 800 can't match that.

Note, I don't use these things with Linux regularly but they did work with
Linux 2.6.5 when I last used it.