[Eug-lug] Thursday meeting tomorrow uncertain

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Sun Aug 1 06:56:38 PDT 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 03:52 pm, Alan Crandall wrote:
: At 07:14 AM 7/30/2004, Jamie wrote:
: >well... you shouldnt run as root(admin) if you can do something as a user,
: >however sometimes you need to be root.
:
: That was the reason for info.As I am new to Linux,some installers require
: certain install paths that require root permissions.Sure I can /bin su
: but  term has limits for me at this learning curve
:
: >Alan, It sounds like you use a gui to login (kdm or gdm?) I think you can
: >still login as root, but your login manager is configured to not display a
: >root user. all you have to do is type in root, then password for root to
: >login as root.
:
: Gui to login/kdm.So the next time I login, instead of typing my password as
: that user just type root and then it will ask for roots password?

yes, root (username) and root password....

:
: >Alternatively, if you just want to run one app as root, you can also do
: > (in a shell):
: >
: >su -c /opt/kde/bin/kwrite
: >
: >and it will open kwrite as root user, while in userland gui.
:
: Thanks! and as a side note,I got crossover working and went to install a
: modplayer but would only install to Opera,which I have installed,but I can
: not find in any dir.Have not tried looking in the roots dir yet but that
: would not make sense to me as that dir is not a shared dir ?

hmm... funny you should mention a mod player! I was just looking for some old
mods that I just had to hear! anyway, xmms plays mods fine. try xmms.

Jamie

--
How do you power off this machine?
	-- Linus, when upgrading linux.cs.helsinki.fi, and after using the machine